These instructions concern the students at the School of Vocational Teacher Education.
The studies at the School of Vocational Teacher Education are organised in such a way that the students can complete the studies within a period of time that corresponds to the scope (60 ECTS) of the studies. Studies completed on a part-time basis must be completed in three years (Universities of Applied Sciences Act 932/2014, § 30). As a rule, students are registered as attending (present) unless they specifically contact the Study Services by email to register as non-attending (absent).
A student has the right to register as absent due to military service, non-military service or women’s voluntary military service or leave in order to take care of one’s child due to birth or adoption. Such absences can extend a student’s study right and are also not included in the maximum number of semesters as absent.
For other reasons, a student has the right to register as absent for one year in total.
According to the Universities of Applied Sciences Act, all students are required to register at the university of applied sciences in the manner specified by the university of applied sciences.
Absence of a first-year student
According to the Universities of Applied Sciences Act, a first-year student may register as absent for the academic year for the following reasons only:
- service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women's Voluntary Military Service (194/1995);
- leave in order to take care of one’s child due to birth or adoption; or
- in case the student cannot begin studies due to being incapacitated by personal illness or injury (affects your right to be absent later).
When you accept the study place, you will be registered as present. In case you would like to register as absent for the first academic year on legal grounds, the document that proves the legal grounds for your absence needs to be delivered to the Admission Services by the Secure Mail system.
Student who has deferred the start of the studies: Enrolling to a new group
When a student has, either on legal grounds or for other reasons, deferred the start of their studies and has been transferred away from the original study group, a student needs to enrol to a new study group commencing the studies in May. The Study Services will send the instructions for the enrolment to these students by email in March.
A student who has deferred the commencement of the studies and who has not, by the time in March specified by the Study Services, enrolled to a new study group commencing the studies in May or registered as absent, will lose their study entitlement. A student may apply to have their study entitlement regranted. Receiving an approved decision on regranting of study entitlement is not automatic. The application for regranting of study entitlement is subject to a handling fee of 50 euros in accordance with the Decree (1440/2014). The application will not be handled if the handling fee has not been paid.
Other absence during the studies
If you would like to register as absent based on legal grounds or for other reason at a later phase of your studies, the enrolment for the autumn semester must be done by 30 October at the latest and for the spring semester by 28 February at the latest by sending an email to the Study Services.
The document that proves the legal grounds for your absence needs to be delivered to the Study Services.
Documents that prove the legal grounds for your absence:
- service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women's Voluntary Military Service (194/1995): Call-up order
- maternity, paternity, or parental leave: Kela's certificate regarding maternity, paternity, or parental allowance period or, if the certificate has not yet been received, a medical certificate regarding the pregnancy. Corresponding certificates from the authorities of other countries regarding statutory parental leave.
AN ABSENT STUDENT
- cannot study at Haaga-Helia,
- cannot attend teaching practice,
- cannot get any student social benefits.
An absent student will retain the right to Haaga-Helia IT services (domain user name, email, etc.).
For further information, please contact the Study Services.