• Code: SOC1RB001
• Extent: 3 ECTS (81 h)
• Timing: Semester 1-2
• Language: English
• Level: Basic studies
• Type: compulsory
After completing this course the student
• has adopted a marketing and sales attitude
• is familiar with the principles of consumer behavior
• knows the marketing planning process
• knows the key concepts of customer-oriented marketing
• knows how to evaluate and adapt marketing mix decisions in marketing planning and
The course creates a foundation for further marketing studies.
• development of marketing philosophies
• influence of marketing environment to marketing decisions
• overview of the marketing information system
• essentials of marketing planning
• business and consumer buying behavior
• target groups, differentiation, segmentation and positioning
• brand marketing and design management
• marketing mix from 4/7 P point of view
• product concept, product development and product life cycle
• pricing strategies, pricing approaches and price elasticity
• distribution channels
• marketing communications mix
Cooperation with the business community and other organisations
Case examples during the course are about multinational companies.
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures, exercises and examination 12 h
Self-studies 68 h
The own learning assessment 1 h
Identifying and acknowledging previously acquired skills (in Finnish AHOT)
Course at other educational institutes or work experience are not accredited as such towards the HAAGA-HELIA studies directly, but the required skills and competences are demonstrated by a specific skills examination, individually agreed with the teacher.
Teacher with main responsibility for the course
Taru Sipponen, Haaga
Bowie, D. & Buttle, F. 2004 or later. Hospitality Marketing: An introduction. Butterworth-Heinemann.
Lecture slides, cases, articles and other material given by the teacher.
Examination 100 %
The own learning assessment assignment does not impact your grade. The assignment is the same for all courses/modules and your answers will be used also for course/module development. The assignment is completed online in WinhaOpaali.
• The student is able to name the basic marketing terms
• The student is familiar with the principles of consumer behavior
• The student is able to define the basic marketing terms
• The student knows the marketing planning process
• The student knows the key-concepts of customer oriented marketing
• The student is able describe the marketing philosophies
• The student masters influence of marketing environment to marketing decisions
• The student is able, in a creative and critically analytical way, to evaluate and adapt marketing mix decisions in marketing planning and