Extent: 3 cr
Level: free elective studies
Type: free elective studies
Available to HAAGA-HELIA University of Applied Science degree programme,exchange students and Open University students. The course is best suited for 2nd. and 3rd. year students, with special interest on personal development and career building.
The aim of the course is to give the students an opportunity to determine their preferred future by looking into their competences, interests and values and assessing their skills and preferences, all through a step by step process guided by professionals. In the end of the module students have adopted different useful tools to take advantage in recruiting and career planning process.
Upon participating the course, the student:
• can self-assess their skills
• can determine their interests, abilities, personality style and work values
• is able to competitively use digital tools for career planning
• is able to systematically plan their personal development
• is able to understand the career planning as a process
• can make career related decisions
• individual personality mapping with professionals
• workshops on different career related topics and trends
• group discussions
• guest lectures and alumni visits
• digital career planning creation
Cooperation with the business community and other organizations
During the course the students is organized alumni and industry professionals lectures.
The course is carried out entirely in Haaga Campus.
Teaching and learning methods
It is possible to complete the course based on classroom learning:
a) Classroom learning:
Lectures and active participation in class 24 h
Self-studies 56 h
The assessment of one’s own learning 1 h
Introduction, classroom learning, student assignments and presentations, individual student assignments and independent learning.
Recognition of Prior Learning, RPL (in Finnish AHOT)
The required skills and competences can be demonstrated by a skills examination.
Teacher/s with the main responsibility for the course
Kristiina Adamsson, Wallace Reynolds, Violeta Salonen
Handout material by the teachers
Independent material search by student
The module is evaluated on a scale excellent (5), very good (4), good (3), satisfactory (2), fair (1), fail (0). The assessment criteria is presented on a scale 1 - 3 - 5.
Student assignments and team work outcome
Active participation and attendance
- operates individually and in his/her group passively
- is capable of fairly independent work in order to achieve the course goals
- recognizes, with help, their skills, interests and abilities
- recognizes some uses of digital career road mapping
- is capable of coping with systematically planning their personal development
Grade 3 - in addition to the above
- is capable of operating as a group member and individually in assignments
- is capable of independent work in order to achieve the course goals
- independently recognizes their skills, interests and abilities
- is capable of creating digital career road map
- is capable of systematically planning their personal development
Grade 5 - in addition to the above
- operates in his/her group and individually in a target-oriented way, professionally and responsibly
- is capable of applying self- assessment into strategic digital plan for career choice
- is capable of carrying out the student assignments in an excellent and innovative manner