Extent: 5 ECTS
Upon successful completion of the course the students have developed their competencies in working in diverse work environment. Students develop their competences in leading virtual teams and diverse work groups. The course includes topics such as Collaboration enablers, Building Dialog and Trust, Acting as an Inclusive Leader, Leading Virtual Teams and Being Part of a Virtual Team, Innovating in a Distributed Environment, Creativity Techniques and Tools.
Starting level and linkage with other courses
No pre-requirements. Recommendable for students in any specialization track.
Learning outcomes and assessment criteria
Competence level 1-2:
- understands and describes at some level different collaborative dimensions and tools in team level context
- uses theories, models and concepts is somewhat inaccurate and superficial way
- describes diverse and virtual dimensions in company context, but
can rarely offer development ideas to improve collaborative practices
- has a limited view of the course themes and can apply only some concepts and models in organizational context
- reflects on and improves his/her learning process only occasionally
- mostly works professionally in a team and can sometimes engage in problem identification and analysis, and suggests some solutions to issues in question
- seldom offers or expects knowledge that is accurate and relevant to the issue
- only occasionally gives and receives feedback.
Competence level 3-4:
- understands and describes very well different collaborative dimensions and tools in team level context
- uses theory and specific terminology mostly accurately
- can assess diverse and virtual dimensions in company context and can offer some development ideas to improve collaborative practices
- has an overall view of the course themes and can apply concepts and models in organizational context
- often reflects on and improves his/her learning process
- can work very professionally in a team and actively engages in problem identification and analysis, and solves issues in question
- understands different viewpoints and argues his/her opinions understandably
- has reasoning mostly visible in his/her comments
- mostly offers and expects knowledge that is accurate and relevant to the issue
- mostly gives and receives feedback effectively
Competenece level 5:
- fully understands and describes in depth different collaborative dimensions and tools in team level context
- uses theory and specific terminology very accurately
- gives relevant real-life examples supporting or challenging theory
- can assess diverse and virtual dimensions in company context and suggest insightfully areas of development
- has a holistic view of course themes and can apply concepts and models logically
- actively reflects on and improves his/her learning process
- can discuss issues using fluently professional terminology
- works very professionally in a team and generates new and useful ideas actively
- questions different viewpoints and argues his/her opinions very logically
- uses reasoning always visibly in his/her comments
- puts forth and demands knowledge that is accurate and relevant to the issue using evidence appropriate to the topic
- gives and receives feedback effectively
Accreditation of prior learning (APL)
Accreditation of prior learning (APL) is considered according to separate instructions.
Co-operation with the business community
Visiting lecturers from business and Company projects on Leading Diversity and Inclusion or Leading Virtual Teams.
The course introduces insights to organizations operating in global context having employees from various parts of the world.
A detailed course schedule is in implementation plan.
Self-study individually and in teams, Lectures, Company project, Working in virtual teams, Self-reflection, Peer Feedback, Social learning methods and investigative learning approach
Assessment components and their respective weights
Team assignments 60%
Individual assignments 20%
Active participation in contact lectures 20%
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
Ayad, A. & Rahim, E. 2016. The Inclusive Leader: An Applied Approach to Diversity, Cahnge, and Management. Kindle Edition.
Brown, J. 2016. Inclusion: Diversity, The New Workplace & The Will To Change.
Harvey, E & Clark S. 2016. Millennials vs. Boomers: Listen, Learn, and Succeed Together.
Kaplan, M & Donovan, M. 2013. Inclusion Dividend: Why Investing in Diversity & Inclusion Pays off.
Deal, J. & Levenson A. 2016.What Millennials Want from Work: How to Maximize Engagement in Today’s Workforce.
LEADING VIRTUAL TEAMS
Alexander, P.F. 2014.The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Virtual Teams: Make a success of your virtual global workforce. Kindle Edition.
Clemons, D & Kroth, M, 2010.Managing the Mobile Workforce: Leading, Building, and Sustaining Virtual Teams.
Lema, C. 2012. Building & Managing Virtual Teams: Five ways to Create a High Performance Culture for Remote Workers. Kindle Edition.
Lojeski, K. 2010.Leading the Virtual Workforce: How Great Leaders Transform Organizations in the 21st Century.
Settle-Murphy, N. 2012. Leading Effective Virtual Teams: Overcoming Time and Distance to Achieve Exceptional Results.
Other reading provided during the course.