Scope: 3 ECTS
Timing: Year 1, Period 4-5
Level: Professional Studies
The aim of the course is to introduce the student to job performance and co-operation in a project setting. After completing the course requirements, the student will
- be familiar with project work and will have worked in a project group
- understand the significance of details in a successful customer service process
- be able to work in a self-directed way in his/her project group
- have acquired an aptitude for managerial work in multicultural work environments
- be familiar with practices of working life in project/process management and is able to operate in work communities
- be able to execute operational level project work
- Introduction to project management
- Introduction to process management
- Project plan design
- Role of interpersonal skills in project work
- Project organisations, organisational theories
- Plan and execute a operational project in a specific industry context
Starting level and linkage with other courses
Hospitality Experience Management or Tourism Experience Management: first mandatory 9 cr course
- In class exercises
- Project work/report
The course is evaluated on a scale excellent (5), very good (4), good (3), satisfactory (2), fair (1), fail (0). The assessment criteria is presented on a scale 1 - 3 - 5.
Recognizes project plan elements and duties & responsibilities and roles for project manager and for team members.
Can design project plan for a small scope project, using adequate methods and tools. Recognizes risks and some method of managing risk. Can act as a productive member in a project group.
Shows ability to act as project manager and to administer project tool towards achieving goals. Can assess risk and evaluate success. Is able to use project management methods in improving business operations.
Working life connections
If possible, course assignment will be conducted in co-operation with the hospitality and/or tourism industry as a development project according to the student’s choice of orientation.
The course is conducted in the HOTEM -program with a mix of international students and exchange students.
Lectures and examination, self-study and project work in class and in the chosen company.
Hospitality and Tourism subject teachers