Scope: 9 ects
Timing: 2nd academic year
Level: Professional studies
Upon completion of the course, the student is able to
• recognize travel and tourism trends and their impact on transportation, travel agencies and events
• apply trends into the services of one’s own specialty field
• analyze customer needs and customer behavior as well as renew services in one’s own specialty field
• acquire information and function successfully in an international environment
• evaluate products on the basis of profitability and quality
• The evolving business of transportation, travel agency and event management both in Finland and internationally, as well as the quality of a service product
• Travel and tourism trends and innovations
• Finnish and international sources of information and applying the learned
• Ever changing customer needs and behavior as well as finding new sales opportunities
• ICT and eBusiness as part of the development of transportation, travel agency and event service industries
• Networking and collaboration methods across industries
Starting level and linkage with other courses
To be studied after the courses: Introduction of Travel and Tourism Business (Johdanto matkailuun liiketoimintana) OR Global and Local Perspectives of Travel and Tourism AND Travel and Tourism Business Operations: Transportation, Travel Agency and Event Management Business.
The course is linked with the course: Travel Business Project 1
The course is evaluated on a scale excellent (5), very good (4), good (3), satisfactory (2), fair (1), fail (0). The assessment criteria is presented on a scale 1 - 3 - 5.
The student is able to name trends in travel and tourism business, and give examples of the impact of the trends on the services of one’s own specialty field. S/he recognizes the customer needs and plans products based on the needs. The student knows partially the domestic and international sources of information about travel and tourism business.
The student is able to name travel and tourism trends, as well as applying them into the services of one´s own specialty field. S/he recognizes the changes of customer behavior and understands their effect on new products. The student compares the profitability and quality of travel and tourism products. S/he acquires information about travel and tourism business in many ways and applies it partially into practice. S/he describes the connections and networks between different parties in international travel and tourism business environment.
The student is able to analyze travel and tourism trends in many ways. S/he develops the services of one´s own specialty field by using the trends and the recognized changes of customer needs. The student evaluates the profitability and quality of travel and tourism products and gives developing ideas. S/he acquires information about travel and tourism business in many ways, and applies it innovatively into practice. S/he describes the connections and networks between different parties in international travel and tourism business environment and is able to network in it.
Working life connections
Company lectures and/or visits
New travel and tourism business operations are viewed from the point of view of global business environment.
The learning goals of this course can be reached in the following ways:
a. Lectures and related assignments and exams
b. Participation in a working life project or another project
Assessing one’s own learning is a compulsory part of the course.
Aija Juvonen, Haaga Campus
Salla Ursin, Haaga Campus