Scope: 5 ECTS
Timing: 3rd year
On successful completion of this module, the student
- knows and understands company strategies and can make use of them in managing and developing operations
- foresees potential business opportunities and understands business trends
- understands the effects of competitive operating environment in business
- knows when it’s wise to subcontract and outsource
- empowers, involves, motivates and listens people
- understands meaning and methods of combining people, HR and business
The module addresses the following topics
- Participative strategy process
- External and internal analyses
- Generic competitive strategies
- Strategic human resource management
- HRM processes
- Diversity at workplace
- Importance of employee involvement to motivation and wellbeing at work
Starting level and linkage with other modules
The module is evaluated on a scale excellent (5), very good (4), good (3), satisfactory (2), fair (1), fail (0). The assessment criteria is presented on a scale 1 - 3 - 5.
The student is able to describe significant strategy and HRM processes/concepts. They can define what the aims and roles of strategic management and HRM are in hospitality business.
The student identifies the principles of rational and participative strategic management. They can analyse what are the factors that constitute a good HRM and strategy implementation and what signifies quality in different HRM processes/concepts. They understand the significance of people management both in company and employee performance.
The student can reflect what kind of different practices/principles signify good strategic management and strategic HRM and can analytically apply their knowledge in industrial specific cases.
Working life connections
Company cases and assignments
Assessing one´s own learning is a compulsory part of the module.
Eija Kjelin, Haaga
Meri Vehkaperä, Haaga