Extent: 9 ECTS
On successful completion of this course, the student:
- applies theories into practise in order to create innovative customer experiences
- applies theme based product development and storytelling in designing tourism services
- analyses market opportunities and develop services with a unique business potential
- takes quality, safety, sustainability and profitability perspectives into account when developing tourism services
- plans ways of pricing, marketing and selling for the tourism products and services
The course addresses the following topics:
- Service Design methods and tools
- Tourism product development process
- Theming and storytelling
- Sustainable innovations
- Quality, safety and security
- Tourism product marketing and selling
- Pricing tourism products
- Creating total customer experience
Cooperation with the business community and other organisations
Students will take part in learning activities with partner organisations to co-produce new tourism products and services.
In this course learning activities include a global perspective and internationally recognized methods and practises are applied.
Teaching and learning methods
Lectures, project work workshops, tutorials.
The own learning assessment 1 h
Recognition of Prior Learning (in Finnish AHOT)
Prior studies and skills may be recognized for this course. Higher education studies (from universities and universities of applied sciences) compatible with the degree are validated through credit transfer. Whereas informal and non-formal learning and skills may be recognized by the individual learning diary/portfolio. Skills acquired may result e.g. from work experience, in-company training, self-directed studies or other activities.
Teacher/s with the main responsibility for the course
Students’ competencies will be assessed as follows:
- developing tourism products for a real company and / or public sector
- use of service design methods and tools
The own learning assessment assignment does not impact your grade. The assignment is the same for all courses/modules and your answers will be used also for course/module development. The assignment is completed online in WinhaOpaali.
- The student is able to participate in service design project and shows modest contribution to the work of project group.
- The student is familiar with the development of customer-oriented products and services.
- The student has lack of knowledge for pricing, marketing and selling decisions.
- The student participates well in service design project and shows good contribution to the work of project group.
- The student is able to develop customer-oriented products and services well.
- The student presents some justifications for pricing, marketing and selling decisions.
- The student actively participates in service design project and shows excellent contribution to the work of project group.
- The student develops innovative customer-oriented products and services.
- The student presents excellent justifications for pricing, marketing and selling decisions.