Scope: 15 ECTS
Timing: 4th – 6th semester
Upon completion of the course, the student is able to
• plan a research or development project
• utilize a variety of information sources and assess existing information critically
• choose the most suited research and project management method and apply it in the thesis project
• report the implementation process and its outcome
• evaluate the success of the thesis project
• Making a thesis plan
• Carrying out the thesis project under the supervision of the thesis advisor, and in themed workshops, if necessary (research methods, text guidance, information search, reporting)
• Reporting in accordance with Haaga-Helia reporting and referencing guidelines
• Presenting the thesis
• Publication process
• Maturity test
Starting level and linkage with other courses
Recommended to be studied after the course Research and Innovation Methods. The student needs to have a preliminary idea or plan about a thesis topic and has completed the thesis pre-test virtual home examination.
The finalized thesis is evaluated using Haaga-Helia thesis evaluation criteria (link open for students and staff members only).
Working life connections
A thesis may be commissioned by a company, public organization, association, university of applied sciences or an educational institution of another type. A written commissioning agreement is drawn up for all commissioned theses.
The thesis may be commissioned by an international organization.
The learning goals of this module can be reached in the following ways
a. Independent study
Assessing one’s own learning is a compulsory part of the course.