NOT OFFERED 2017-2018
Scope: 9 ECTS (125 h)
Timing: Semester 2
Level: Professional studies
Upon completion of the module, the student is able to
• give the ability and skills to work in restaurant with different jobs and tasks
• create a hospitality attitude and customer mind set
• get a food and beverage knowledge in different business ideas
• understand basics of food quality and safety
The module addresses the following topics:
1. Serve and sell meals and drinks in different restaurant consepts (table settings, service styles in practice)
2. Recognize and safely use food ingredients in a responsible way including special diets
3. work in a professional kitchen as a member of the team and understand the food production methods
4. suggest and inform customers about typical dishes and beverages
5. sensory evaluate the quality of the food and beverages products
6. follow and understand restaurant discussion as a hospitality business professional
Starting level and linkage with other modules
Personal learning diary
The module is evaluated on a scale excellent (5), very good (4), good (3), satisfactory (2), fair (1), fail (0). The assessment criteria is presented on a scale 1 - 3 - 5.
- can name different kinds of restaurant concepts
- recognizes most common food ingredients and menu items that are used in the restaurant
- outline basic food preparation and service skills required in the restaurant
- can find current information related to service and food and can present it
- can compare elements commonly used in restaurants
- can evaluate elements commonly used in restaurants and choose the suitable ones for different purposes
Working life connections
Industry visits (understanding business models and concepts), guest lectures
Learning activities include a global/international perspective.
Lectures, practical exercises, group work, independent studying
The number of learning hours is divided as follows:
• 144-hours of contact teaching and directed learning
• 98-hours of self-directed learning
• The own learning assessment 1 h
Assessing one´s own learning is a compulsory part of the module.
Taina Pallonen, Haaga
Raimo Pollari, Haaga
Sami Rekola, Haaga
• Lillicrap, D. and Cousins, J. 2006. Food and Beverages Service. Hodder Arnold.
• Selected articles and other material provided by the lecturers.