Scope: 5 ECTS (135 hours)
Timing: 3rd academic year
Level: professional studies
Type: optional module
Upon completion of this module
• the student will have good current information about media field and trends in different media.
• the student understands different roles in creating different media contents, i.e. advertising agency, commissioning party, corporate goals and challenges in meeting creative and schedule goals.
• through practical hands-on exercises we get to know the nature of working on designing web-pages, video content, campaign planning and presentations, printed media and sound content.
• the student will have a good comprehension of how to plan marketing communications for different media including online and offline media.
• one main goal is to understand campaign planning as managing a whole idea, to be coherent and to be able to work on one big idea all the way through different media = integrated media.
• the course gives many hands-on ideas and guidelines in working with different media and in planning campaigns and contents.
• the student is familiar with key concepts in media field.
• Media field, online and offline
• Current and future media trends
• Agency briefing, presentation of media contents and creative ideas
• Contracting creative professionals, challenges and opportunities
• Understanding media budgeting -Setting goals to media campaigns
• Video marketing, producing short video
• Web design principles, producing lay-outs and graphics
• Producing content for social media
• Creative campaign planning and presentation, producing a creative content presentation
• Sound worlds, creating a short sound file, speaking, music, editing
• Possibly a visit to a digital marketing agency or a media company in Helsinki
Starting level and linkage with other modules
Recommended to be studied before: Marketing and/or digital marketing basics.
The module is evaluated on a scale excellent (5), very good (4), good (3), satisfactory (2), fair (1), fail (0). The assessment criteria is presented on a scale 1 - 3 - 5.
The student can describe different media and media trends.
The student has been present and active during the lessons
The student shows basic knowledge of working on media related assignments
The student understands the media concepts and principles
The student can develop campaign presentations and find some new ideas for marketing
The student has successfully submitted all assignments and shows some capabilities to work with media related tasks
The student shows some knowledge of the tools discussed during the course, i.e. lay-out-tools, basic video and sound editing tools
The student shows some understanding of campaign goal setting and campaign planning
The student understands and appraises outstandingly the media concepts and principles
The student can develop campaign presentations and find new ideas for marketing
The student has successfully submitted all assignments on time and shows professional capabilities to work with media related tasks
The student shows knowledge of the tools discussed during the course, i.e. lay-out-tools, basic video and sound editing tools
The student shows outstandingly understanding of campaign goal setting and campaign planning Integrated media
Working life connections
Industry visit, practical projects that give the students capabilities to act in working life environment.
In this module, it is ensured that the learning activities include a global/international perspective. The Facilitator(s) infuses international elements into the learning content and international resources are used in the module readings. The culturally diverse audience is taken into consideration.
Lessons and assignments for lessons
Discussions and group works
Final practical assignment
Assessing one´s own learning is a compulsory part of the module.
Jussi Mertanen, Haaga