- Code: ISM2TX300
- Extent: 5 ECTS credits (135h)
- Timing: 2nd semester
- Language: English
- Level: Advanced professional studies
- Type: Compulsory
Starting level and linkage with other courses
Upon completion of the course, the student will
- acquire the vocabulary of strategic management practices
- learn the main views of strategy works and processes by studying the recent strategic management literature
- understand and practice the main principles, methods and tools of strategic analyses and planning
- understand the role of stakeholders in strategy work
- understand the role of ICT, Communication and HR in the strategy work and in successful implementation of a strategy
- be able to identify, analyze and solve the most common strategic management problems
- be able to analyze the strategic behavior of different organizations
- be able to create different strategic options and assess their feasibility
- be able to identify, analyze and solve the most common strategic management problems in
During the course the main strategic schools, approaches and trends in the current strategic management literature will be discussed. The course focuses on understanding the role and challenges of strategy work in an emerging and international business environment. The role of strategy work in the service industry will be emphasized. The main topics are
- pre-assignment (selected by the teachers) reporting and presentation
- development and current role of strategic management in business
- main concepts and tools applied in strategic practices
- strategic analyses
- development of a strategic framework for a selected organization
- strategy implementation action planning (change management, communication, ICT and HR management)
Cooperation with the business community
Professional experiences of students will be shared during the sessions. There will be an opportunity for analyzing the business environment; developing, assessing, and selecting strategic options; and developing implementation plans. Guest lecturers with strategic management experiences will be invited to the course. International and domestic business cases will be discussed.
Cases and readings are from international business contexts. Students work in multicultural teams.
Teaching and learning methods
- Contact sessions
- Independent studies, team assignments and individual assignments
- The assessment of one’s own learning 1 h
Accreditation of prior learning (APL)
“Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) is the generic term used for the award of credits on the basis of demonstrated learning which has taken place in the past”. APL gives a student an opportunity to demonstrate his/her knowledge and skills. Prior learning could be accepter fully or partly. A student displays with the competence demonstration that s/he manages the course objectives and contents mentioned in the course description. It is possible to participate in the competence demonstration only once before taking the course. A competence demonstration is assessed on the scale from 1 to 5.
To be announced
List of Strategic Management books will be provided for the individual pre-assignment.
Additional, recommended readings and journal articles will be listed on Moodle.
Other selected materials and cases provided by the teacher(s) as handouts.
The course is evaluated on scale 1 to 5 (where 5 is the best). Assessment components are listed below. Their respective weights are provided by the teachers. All components need to be passed.
- Pre-assignment report and presentation
- Strategic analyses reports and presentations
- Participation and activity in discussions
The assessment of one’s own learning does not influence the grade. The assignment is the same for all courses/modules and the answers will also be used for course/module development. The assignment is completed online in WinhaOpaali.