- Code: ISM2TX200
- Extent: 5 ECTS (135 h)
- Timing: 1st semester
- Language: English
- Level: Advanced Professional studies
- Type: Compulsory
Starting level and linkage with other courses
1st semester course; connected to the 2nd semester course Leadership and Communication in Multicultural Environment (ISM2TX210).
In this course the students evaluate their managerial and leadership skills and adopt the mindset of continuous development of these skills.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student
- learns to evaluate his/her managerial and leadership skills
- adopts the mindset of continuous development of knowledge and
- understands the role of learning on personal as well as on organizational level
- is able to apply the concepts and processes in the working environment
- is able to benefit from evaluation in both personal and organizational development
- Measuring of expert, management, and leadership skills
- Role of learning
- Personal study plan
- Networking on planned thesis topics
- Writing summaries
Cooperation with the business community
Visiting lecturers, planning thesis topics
Visiting international lecturers
Teaching and learning methods
- Contact sessions
- Team work and team assignments
- Independent studies and individual assignments
- The assessment of one’s own learning 1 h
Accreditation of prior learning (APL)
“Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) is the generic term used for the award of credits on the basis of demonstrated learning which has taken place in the past”. APL gives a student an opportunity to demonstrate his/her knowledge and skills. A student displays with the competence demonstration that s/he manages the course objectives and contents mentioned in the course description. It is possible to participate in the competence demonstration only once before taking the course. A competence demonstration is assessed on the scale from 1 to 5.
Student demonstrates his / her expertise concerning skill and knowledge evaluation as well as main concepts of learning (written material) made by him/ her in his/ her working environment and explains his/ her general view of concepts and frameworks (written material). The demonstration can be a case study presentation to all the students in the group.
Course materials and additional reading
- Illeris, Knud (ed.) (2009). Contemporary theories of learning.
- Berger, Lance & Berger, Dorothy (eds.), (2011): The talent management handbook
- Caligiuri, Paula (2010): Get a life, not a job: do what you love and let your talents work for you
- Dessler, Gary (2008): Human resource management
- Lamb, Philippa (2006): Jumpstart your career to a brilliant future
- Reardon, Robert & al. (2009): Career development and planning – a comprehensive approach
- Silsbee, Doug (2010): The mindful coach: seven roles for leader development
- Templar, Richard (2003): The rules of work: a definite code for personal success
Other material supplied by the teacher
- Team assignments
- Individual assignments
- Active participation
|Grades / learning outcomes
||1 (min. 40 %)
||3 (min. 70 %)
||5 (min. 90 %)
||Knows the principles of personal development partially and is aware of its challenges.
||Knows the principles and the key success factors of personal development and knows their key challenges well.
||Knows the principles and the key success factors of personal development and knows their challenges extremely well.
||Understands personal development, planning of studies, and relevant methods partially. Applies them adequately.
||Understands personal development, planning of studies, and relevant methods well. Applies them well. Works independently and utilizes tutoring when necessary.
||Understands personal development, planning of studies, and relevant methods as well as their challenges extremely well. Applies them extremely well. Works independently and utilizes tutoring when necessary.
||Participates fairly little and individual effort is minimal.
||Participates well and acts fairly independently. Works according to the schedule and deadlines.
||Participates extremely well. Applies the knowledge and skills very well in web discussions and planning of personal development. Works according to the schedule and deadlines.
The assessment of one’s own learning does not influence the grade. The assignment is the same for all courses/modules and the answers will also be used for course/module development. The assignment is completed online in WinhaOpaali.
Development due to earlier feedback
Focusing better on the key elements of the learning material.