Extent: 3 cr (81 h)
Timing: 4th - 7th semester
Level: Professional studies
The three first semesters of the GloBBA studies completed.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student
- understands the characteristics of Arab culture and business culture
- knows the practices in the business negotiations with Arab business partners
- is able to cope with the diversity related to his own culture and the Arab world
- has improved his/her multicultural team work skills
- has enhanced his/her HH3S competences as applicable to the course.
- Arabic culture before and after Islam, Diversity of Arabic countries and cultures
- Basic pillars of Islam from the business perspective
- Arabic business culture vs. western business culture
- Communication challenges; non-verbal communication
- Practical work life rules, business centers, middle men, expatriate life
- Marketing to Arabs
Cooperation with the business community
Guest speakers, cases
The global business approach through-out the course.
Teaching and learning methods
Project assignments for a real company
The assessment of one’s own learning 1 h
Accreditation of prior learning
Based on the accreditation of prior learning application.
Teacher with the responsibility for the course
Ferraro, G. 2006. The Cultural Dimension of International Business
Williams, J. 1998. Don’t They Know It’s Friday.
Käri-Zein, P. 2009. Course material of Arabic culture and business culture.
Articles, case studies, handouts distributed during the lessons.
|1 (Min. 40%
|3 (Min. 70%
|5 (Min. 90%
||The student has a limited understanding of the key cultural theories, concepts and the principles of Arab business.
||The student has some understanding of the key cultural theories, concepts and the principles of Arab business.
||The student has a good understanding of the cultural theories and environment, main concepts and principles of business in the Arabic countries, as well as understands the similarities and differences of Arab markets.
||The student has a limited capability of analyzing the Arab business.
||The student is independently capable of analyzing some of the principals of doing business in the Arabic countries.
||The student is independently capable of analyzing the risks and opportunities of doing business in the Arabic countries.
||The student poorly applies some of the tools and principles used in analyzing Arab business environment. The student shows poor service and sales orientation as required by the HH3S policy.
||The student is able to relatively independently apply the basic cultural and strategic tools in the Arabic business environment. The student shows good service and sales orientation as required by the HH3S policy.
||The student is able to independently and professionally apply tools and principles used in Arabic business environment.
Student can add value to a real company needs analysis in the Arabic market. The student shows excellent service and sales orientation as required by the HH3S policy.
Modes of assessment and their weights
Activity, homework and participation 20%
The assessment of one's own learning does not influence the course grade. The assignment is the same for all courses/modules and the answers will also be used for course/module development. The assignment is completed on an E-form.