Scope: 3 op
Level: Professional Studies
Starting level and linkage with other courses
As the aim of the course is to develop students’ spoken English skills according to their own individual abilities, there is no starting level prerequisite. The course provides support for other English language courses by endeavoring to improve students’ English verbal skills and confidence levels.
Learning objectives and assessment
The aim is to enhance and deepen students’ abilities and confidence in using spoken English for business purposes.
Classroom performance, written and spoken assignments, and the final demonstration are at a passable level.
Written and spoken assignments, the final demonstration and classroom performance are at a good level. The student demonstrates an emerging ability for autonomous development.
Classroom performance, written and spoken assignments, and the final demonstration are at an excellent level. The student is clearly capable of autonomous development.
Recognising and validating prior learning (RPL)
If the student has acquired the required competence in previous work tasks, recreational activities or on another course, s/he can contact the teacher in charge of the course to agree on how to show the competence. Information and instructions for recognising and validating prior learning are available on MyNet.
Working life connections
The course develops and deepens the student's spoken English skills for multicultural business settings.
The course provides international skills through enhancing the student's spoken business English skills.
During the course, the student will develop in
- face-to-face communication and negotiation in multicultural work settings.
- delivering various kinds of spoken business messages (e.g. work process descriptions/discussions, informal business occasions).
- producing effective written / visual support materials for spoken messages.
- structuring messages and organizing information effectively for spoken purposes.
- using nonverbal skills during spoken encounters.
- using English pronunciation toward desired communication goals.
The course corresponds to the B2 level of the Common European Framework.
Individual and group assignments
To be announced
Provided by the teacher