- Code: DAT1TF010
- Extent: 4 cr (108 h)
- Timing: 2nd semester
- Language: English
- Level: core studies
- Type: compulsory
After the course the student:
- Understands the main parts of IT and their relations in a company. The student also understands the basics of a computer system: the architecture and the functioning
- Will know how the computer is organised, how a program executes in a computer and the role of the operating system in the program execution
- Will know what the computer system components are and how they execute a given program.
- IT in a company
- The architecture of a PC
- The components of a computer and their function
- Operating system and its role
- Notations, conversions between notations, computer logic
- Data representation
- Creating and executing programs in the system
The studies contain lectures and exercises (distance learning). To pass the course a student has to get at least half of the points of the tests. Lectures are not mandatory, but exercise-points may be achieved only by participating lectures/exercises.
Recognition of Prior Knowledge
Entry Level Test on the second study week.
Teaching and learning methods
Contact hours 72 h
Homework 35 h
The assessment of one’s own learning 1 h
Juhani Ahlgren, Pasila
Juhani Merilinna, Pasila
Morley & Parker: Understanding Computers, 10th edition.
THOMSON Course Technology
Student has basic ideas how computer is built and how data is represented in it.
Student has good understanding how computer is built and how data is represented in a computer.
Student knows how to apply learned information into IT in a company.
Homework 30 %
Test 70 %
The assessment of one’s own learning does not influence the grade. The assignment is the same for all courses/modules and the answers will also be used for course/module development. The assignment is completed online in WinhaOpaali.