Scope: 3 cr
Timing: 2nd to 3rd semester
Language: Finnish, English
Level: Basic studies
Upon completion of the course the student will
• be able to make presentations in English in a convincing and professional manner, on a variety of topics
• be able to write persuasively and professionally in English for a variety of target groups
• be able to perform efficiently and appropriately in English in negotiations, meetings and seminars
• be able to communicate in English in unexpected situations or when problems arise
• be able to effectively read and interpret a demanding text in English, understanding its contents
• Challenging performance and presentation situations in the hotel, catering and tourism sectors
• Written communication, such as financial reports
• Texts related to negotiations, meetings and seminars
• Communication in unusual/problem situations
• Current industry-related texts
Starting level and linkage with other courses
The course is evaluated on a scale excellent (5), very good (4), good (3), satisfactory (2), fair (1), fail (0). The assessment criteria is presented on a scale 1 - 3 - 5.
The student can speak English fairly fluently, in spite of some difficulties. With some help is able to prepare a business presentation, present it and answer at least some relevant questions. Might need some assistance to understand an industry-related English-language text. Can deduce the general content of a text when the subject matter is familiar, for example, in areas such as management, marketing or accounting. Often needs to use a dictionary.
The student can speak English rather fluently. Is able to prepare a business presentation, present it and answer any relevant questions. Is able to present business-related topic clearly and with minimal preparation. Can read and summarize in English or Finnish industry-related texts. Can understand the content of the text when the subject matter is familiar, for example, in areas such as management, marketing or accounting. Sometimes needs to use a dictionary. Is able to analyze and assess the accuracy of the information found.
The student can speak English quite fluently. Is able to give a business presentation well without much presentation and can respond to any questions effectively and professionally. Is able to quickly and accurately read and sum up in Finnish or English challenging industry-related texts. Can understand a text very well when the subject matter is familiar, for example, in areas such as management, marketing or accounting. Knows how to use a wide range of tools in, for example, searching for information.
Working life connections
The course’s contents and themes are directly work related.
The course concentrates on business practices of English-speaking countries, as well as English-language communication as part of today’s Finnish working life.
The learning objectives of this course are achieved through the following:
a. Lectures and related in-class exercises
b. Examination(s) and/or assignments(s)
c. Independent work-based learning
Assessing one’s own learning is a compulsory part of the course.