Extent: 3 cr (81h)
Timing: 4th semester
Level: Professional studies
Starting level and linkage with other courses
Engelska 1 and Engelska 2 completed. Minimum competence level B1.
Upon completion of the course, the student
- has professional communication skills required in the industry with particular emphasis on product development.
- is able to communicate efficiently in customer service situations
- is able to implement professional language competence in projects of the term
- knows the key vocabulary of the themes of the term
- is able to search professional literature and other sources to acquire and share information efficiently in English
- knows how to write academic texts in the proper structure and style
- is able to give professional presentations
- Integrated to the study modules of the term
- Spoken communication related to the study modules of term : presentations, reporting, interviews
- Written English communication related to the study modules of the term: e.g. e-mails summaries, reports
- Academic writing and research language: e.g. abstracts, questionnaires, interviews
Cooperation with the business community
Guest lectures and company visits together with the major subjects of the term
Possible international semester projects, involving international partners.
Teaching and learning methods
Contact hours 40
Independent study and teamwork 38 h
The own learning assessment 1 h
Recognition of prior learning (RPL)
The student displays with the competence demonstration that s/he manages the course objectives and contents mentioned in the course description. The student contacts the instructor before the course is implemented. The student displays her/his competence in various parts of the course by course related documentation, e.g. a language portfolio. In the competence demonstration includes an examination and oral presentation.
Liisa Wallenius, Porvoo
Material posted on Moodle:
Material prepared by the students as course work
Material provided by the lecturer
The course is evaluated on scale 1 to 5. The assessment criteria is presented on scale 1 to 3.
|Components||1 (50%)||3 (70%)||5 (90%)|
|Knowledge||The student knows the core contents of the course at a passable level.||The student knows well the core contents of the course.||The student masters the core contents of the course.|
|Skills||The course assignments are completed at a passable level. The student performs oral tasks at a basic level.||The course assignments are completed at an appropriate level. The student performs oral tasks well.||All the course assignments are completed at a proficient level. The student performs oral tasks fluently.|
|Competence||With great difficulty and under strict supervision, the student can use English in professional tasks.||The student works well in a team. S/he shows some independence in the performance of professional tasks.||The student can work very professionally in a team. S/he can apply the acquired knowledge independently in professional tasks.|
Assessment components and their respective weights
30% class activity (80% attendance requirement)
40% presentations and written assignments, course portfolio
The own learning assessment assignment does not impact your grade. The assignment is the same for all courses/modules and your answers will be used also for course/module development. The assignment is completed online in WinhaOpaali.