- Code: WOR1LE001
- Extent: 18 ECTS (486 h)
- Semester: 1*
- Language: English
- Level: core studies
- Type: compulsory
*The course is offered only in autumn semesters.
Students become familiar with business principles, business communications and business practices common to working life.
Upon successful completion of the course, students
- have broadened their English vocabulary
- are familiar with key business and economics concepts and terminology in English
- understand the role of marketing in companies
- are familiar with different markets and marketing environments as well as key marketing stakeholders
- understand the significance of customer-focus in business activities
- are familiar with how companies and other organisations act and cooperate in networks
- know how companies should act in order to reach their objectives and be profitable
- understand the management assistant’s role in organisations and networks
- are familiar with the management assistant’s job profile, tasks and competence requirements
- have the skills to develop the interpersonal relationships that are required in networks and are knowledgeable of professional ethics
- know how to work in teams in projects
- understand the value of information and knowledge
- are familiar with key information sources and are able to assess them with a critical mindset
- have the skills to produce standard documents that include images and tables
- know how to make on-screen presentations and refine numerical data
- have the computer skills required in working life and have learned the 10-finger typing system
- are familiar with the significance of communication for organisations
- know how to recognise and organise the practices of organisational communication.
Introduction to Business English (2 ECTS)
Introduction to Marketing (3 ECTS)
Organisations and Leadership (5 ECTS)
Introduction to Information Retrieval (2 ECTS)
Office Applications (4 ECTS)
Purpose and Practices in Organisational Communication (2 ECTS)
More detailed information on the above parts of the course is provided in the relevant course descriptions.
Cooperation with the business community and other organisations
The course includes a practical company project, during which students acquire, analyse, document information relating to a real case organisation and write a report on this. The course includes visits to companies, guest lectures by company representatives and cooperation with the alumni assistant.
Teaching and learning methods
The course makes use of an investigative and developmental approach to learning, with emphasis on independent study and an analytical and creative approach to learning.
The course covers 486 hours of study, covering contact hours, teamwork and self-study.
Contact hours 200 h, averaging 12 h a week throughout the semester.
Self-study 83 h
Self-assessment of learning 1 h
Recognition of prior learning (RPL)
A competence demonstration is organised before the start of semester.
Ulla Björklund, Pasila (Introduction to Information Retrieval)
Olli Laintila, Pasila (Introduction to Marketing, Organisations and Leadership)
Heli Lankinen, Pasila (Office Applications)
Ilpo Päiväläinen, Pasila (Introduction to Business English)
Mirka Sunimento, Pasila (Purpose and Practices in Organisational Communication)
Each part of the course has one or several teachers, who make up the student counselling team.
Introduction to Business English:
The material and other reference material to be informed later.
Introduction to Business Administration:
Griffin, R.W. & Ebert, R. J. 2003. Business. Eighth edition. New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
Haasio, A. 2009 Management Assistant’s Guide to Information seeking.
Classroom materials and other materials informed and distributed by the teachers.
Introduction to Business English
Vocabulary tests, assignments and presentations 100 %
Introduction to Marketing
Exam and participation 50 %
Company Project 50 %
Organisations and Leadership
Exam and participation 50 %
Company Project 50 %
Introduction to Information Retrieval
Exam 50 %
Activity and assignments 50 %
Purpose and Practices in Organisational Communication
Exam or assignment 60 %
Company Project 40 %
Exam and participation 70 %
Company Project 30 %
Assessment criteria/Introduction to Business English, scale 5-1.
Assessment criteria/Introduction to Marketing, scale 5-1.
Assessment criteria/Organisations and Leadership, scale 5-1.
Assessment criteria/Introduction to Information Retrieval, scale 5-1.
Assessment criteria/Office Applications, scale 5-1.
|5 excellent||3 good||1 satisfactory|
The self-assessment of learning assignment does not impact your grade. The assignment is the same for all courses/modules and your answers will be used also for course/module development. The assignment is completed online in WinhaOpaali.