- Code: ENG1LE015
- Extent: 3 ECTS (81 h)
- Timing: 1st Semester*
- Language: English
- Level: core studies
- Type: compulsory
*the course is offered only in autumn semesters
Starting level and prerequisites
Starting level: B2
Secondary school English or equivalent.
- acquires a solid comprehension of English grammar
- acquires a foundation on which to build her/his vocabulary and grammatical skills independently after the course
- can identify the distinguishing features of business English
- can identify different registers of the language
- gains practice in using various reference materials, which provides her/him with a foundation on which to build her/his English skills after the course.
- Basic English grammar
- Key features of business English
- Language use in different situations
- Use of reference material
Teaching and learning methods
The course covers 81 hours of study.
Contact hours: 30 h (2 h/week)
Independent studies: 48 h
Written exam: 2 h (at end of the course)
Self-assessment of learning 1h
Required attendance 80 %
Completing the required assignments of the course and taking the course examination. The completion is assessed on the scale from 1 to 5.
Recognition of prior learning (RPL)
The student displays with the competence demonstration that s/he manages the course objectives and contents mentioned in the course description. The demonstration includes the assignments of the course and the course examination. It is possible to participate in the competence demonstration only once, and it must be agreed upon with the teacher in advance. The competence demonstration is assessed on the scale from 1 to 5.
Teacher with the main responsibility for the course
Karl Robbins, Pasila
Hewings, M. Advanced Grammar in Use. Cambridge University Press
Course handouts provided by teacher.
Written exam and Classroom participation 100%
The self-assessment of learning assignment does not impact your grade. The
assignment is the same for all courses/modules and your answers will be used
also for course/module development. The assignment is completed online in