Scope: 3 ects
Timing: 4th period
Level: Basic studies
Upon completion of the module, the student is able to
• understand the rules and regulations of alcohol service in restaurants
• understand the importance of food hygiene in the hospitality industry. Student knows basics of microbiology, food poisoning, hygienic working methods, personal hygiene, cleaning, in-house control and legislation.
• understand the importance of safety and risk management in the hospitality industry. Student knows basics of accident prevention and some methods for increasing customer safety.
• Licensing Regulations [Licensing supervisor status]
• Hygiene Proficiency [Hygiene passport]
• Travel Industry Safety Passport
Starting level and linkage with other modules
No previous studies needed and no binding connections to other modules.
The module is evaluated on a scale excellent (5), very good (4), good (3), satisfactory (2), fair (1), fail (0). The assessment criteria is presented on a scale 1 - 3 - 5.
Licensing Regulations test with sufficient knowledge informed by the lecturer. Student understands the importance of hygienic working methods to prevent food poisonings in a professional kitchen.
Licensing Regulations test with good knowledge informed by the lecturer. Student understands the basics of microbiology and knows the critical control points in food processes.
Licensing Regulations test with excellent knowledge informed by the lecturer. Student is familiar with the legislation related to food hygiene in a hospitality industry.
Working life connections
This module does not provide cooperation with the business community.
A small part of the module includes a global/international perspective, and the teaching and learning methods used are appropriate to a culturally diverse student population.
The learning goals of this module can be reached in the following ways:
a. Lectures and related assignments as full-time studies
b. Exam and/or learning assignment(s)
Assessing one’s own learning is a compulsory part of the module
Eeva Pajakkala, Haaga
Jouko Mykkanen, Haaga
Kristian Sievers, Haaga