- Code: SWD1TF001
- Scope: 5 ECTS (135h)
- Timing: 1.semester
- Language: English
- Curriculum: DIGIE
- Course level: Basic studies
- Course type: Compulsory
Starting level and linkage with other courses
Student is able to explain the software engineering profile and the rough contents of its courses. She/he is able to communicate the components and phases of software engineering (software development). She is able to implement web pages that contain simple functionality implemented with browser programming. She is able to use the needed development tools and publish the pages on a web server. She is able to utilize technical documentation while needing information or help.
The course gives a broad view on Software Engineering and software development, and the brief basics of programming:
- software engineering; goals, main concepts, and challenges
- main phases/disciplines in software engineering processes
- few methods and models visualizing the software development work in practice
- main principles for creating technically sound web pages (with HTML5 and CSS)
- development environment and publishing the web site on a web server
- using following features of the programming language: selection and repetition structures, arrays and functions
- the technical documentation needed in basic web development and the ways to utilize it
Accepted course is evaluated with grades 1 to 5. Assessment is based on exam(s) and individual work (activity and personal tasks, social contribution in the group)
Student shows passable activity in class and individual studying. Has passable understanding of the course contents, core concepts and terminology. Has passable knowledge and skills in creating an application using the skills taught on the course. Often needs some assistance in solving basic problems. Has some difficulties in using the course materials to support own learning.
Student shows good activity in class and individual studying. Has good understanding of the course contents, basic concepts and terminology. Has good knowledge and skills in creating an application using the skills taught on the course. Sometimes needs assistance in solving basic problems. Can use the course materials in an effective way to support own learning. Can find some more information from other sources.
Student shows excellent activity in class and individual studying. Has excellent understanding of the course contents, basic concepts and terminology. Has excellent knowledge and skills in creating an application using the skills taught on the course. Can independently solve problems. Can fluently use the course materials and other sources to support own learning. Can independently find more information from other sources. Can independently learn more details of course topics. (Though knowing the given material is enough for the best grade)
Working life connections
Visiting lecturers telling about the many kinds of jobs available in the software development.
Students will be a mix of Finnish students, curriculums’ foreign students, and Erasmus exchange students.International learning material used.
Individual activity is emphasized. Students will also learn how to learn technical issues. That must be the main goal of the first semester studies.
- Contact course: 56h contact hours (short lessons, guided individual and group work labs, exams) and 78h of Independent work in labs or at home OR
- Recognition of prior learning (RPL): Exam that profoundly covers the course learning goals and presenting and professionally explaining own web application that exceeds the course requirements.
The assessment of one’s own learning does not influence the grade. The assignment is the same for all courses/modules and the answers are used for course/module development.
Juha Hinkula (not spring 2017)