Scope: 15 ECTS
Timing: semester 3 - 7
Language: English, Finnish or another language
Course level: Work Placement
Course type: compulsory
Starting level and linkage with other courses
Specialisation Studies started, as the Specialisation Work Placement has to be completed in the field of the chosen major specialisation. Moreover, the work placement tasks need to be pre-approved by the Specialisation/Combination Work Placement Coordinator.
The Specialisation Work Placement is an opportunity to gain an authentic understanding of practical work and career options in the field of the chosen major specialisation. It allows the student to
- get real work experience in a professional environment working on tasks related to the major specialisation studies.
- develop practical skills for and an understanding of careers in the chosen field of major specialisation.
- apply knowledge and skills gained in the work place and link them to the major specialisation studies, and vice versa.
- develop the ability to describe and evaluate the meaning of their own job tasks in the context of the organization.
- assist the company and bring new ideas to the job.
- enhance the ability to analyse business tasks and problems in the chosen field of major specialisation by reflecting on and evaluating the company and its operations, and the tasks the student performed
- reflect and evaluate strengths and weaknesses, competencies, employability and professional identity in the chosen field of major specialisation as well as plan their future career.
- build their professional networks in the chosen major specialisation.
Developing competencies, skills, knowledge and expertise in the chosen major specialisation.
Recognising and validating prior learning (RPL)
If you have prior work experience that matches the requirements set, you may apply for RPL and progress faster through your studies. More information and instructions for RPL are available at SharePoint.
Cooperation with the business community
Learning through completing the tasks agreed with and supervised by the work placement employer.
Students are strongly encouraged to complete their work placement in an internationally oriented organization or abroad.
Engagement in authentic work tasks related to the field of chosen major specialisation. Learning from feedback given by the employer. Self-reflection on the work placement experience. Preparation of the Work Placement Report, in which the work certificate is attached.
Students' performance is graded on the following scale: Pass, Fail.
The assessment of one’s own learning.
Specialisation Work Placement Coordinator(s)
ACC Specialisation Coordinator: Anne Arkima
MAR Specialisation Coordinator: Kevin Gore
SCM Specialisation Coordinator: Hanna Harilainen
HRM Specialisation Coordinator: Anita Pösö
ENT Specialisation Coordinator: Maija Suonpää
All material, such as guidelines, application and report templates as well as grant information for unpaid work placements, can be found on the SharePoint Site “GLOBBA Students”, under “Work Placements”.