Extent: 3 ECTS (81 h)
Timing: Semester 5 - 6
Level: Professional Specialisation Studies
Type: Compulsory to those chosen MARLF2 Global Customer Relationships Management and Communication as their specialisation.
The student has successfully completed the GloBBA Basic and Joint Professional Studies. The course is part of the module of Global Customer Relationship Management and Communication.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student
• understands the importance of sales force management and continuous selling skills development
• knows the sales management and the personal selling process in BtoB sales
• contributes to the development of sales strategies and sales planning
• is aware of the methods needed in managing and leading an international sales team
• has the skills to apply various selling techniques in sales negotiations in BtoB selling
• has enhanced his/her HH3S competences as applicable to the course.
Sales management and sales planning
• sales strategies, targeting and prospecting
• sales forecasting and budgeting
• sales organisations and territory management
• leading sales force: motivation, training and supervision
• sales control and funnel management
Sales skills development in BtoB selling
• personal selling process
• competences and characteristics of a profit making sales person
• sales techniques in consultative sales negotiations: sales call planning, approach, need identification, product presentation, dealing with objections, closing the sale, building up the customer relationship
Cooperation with the business community
Real business based cases and exercises.
International and global business approach to course themes and topics, contributions by multinational student groups and company cooperation.
Teaching and learning methods
Blended learning: Contact lessons, AdobeConnect-virtual lessons, Moodle-collaboration
Sales manual –team work
Sales simulation exercises in teams
Individual assignment/home exam
The assessment of one’s own learning
Recognition of prior learning
Regognition of prior learning (RPL) is observed on the course according to separate instructions.
Teachers with the main responsibility of the course
Seija Bergström, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jobber, D. & Lancaster, G. 2009. Selling and Sales Management. 8th ed. (or newer) Prentice Hall.
Cron, L. W. & DeCarlo, T. E. 2010. Sales Management: concepts and cases. 10th ed. Willey. OR: Johnston, M. W. & Marshall, G. W., 2011. Sales Force Management. 10th ed. McGraw-Hill, New York
Additional reading is announced in the Moodle.
|1 (Min. 40%
|3 (Min. 70%
|5 (Min. 90%
||The student understands the role of the sales function. He/she has the general knowledge of consultative business- to- business selling process
||The student understands the role of the sales function in successful business well. He/she has the good knowledge of consultative business- to- business selling process, also in international context.
The student understands the role of the sales function in successful business excellently. He/she has a very good knowledge of consultative business- to- business selling process, also in international context.
||The student’s skills to recognise and analyse sales environment are limited. He/she is able to apply a consultative sales process in simple selling situations as a team member.
||The student’s skills to recognise and analyse sales environment are good. He/she applies a consultative sales process in selling situations culturally more demanding situations as an effect team member.
||The student’s skills to recognise and analyse sales environment are very good. He/she applies a consultative sales process in selling situations culturally very demanding situations as an effect team member and also independently.
The student is able to plan and act in the role of consultative seller only when tightly guided and assisted. His/her sales and service competences as required in the HH3S policy are limited.
||The student plans and acts in the role of consultative seller in a result oriented way. His/her sales and service competences as required in the HH3S policy are on a good level.
||The student plans and acts in the role of consultative seller in a result gaining way as needed in long term business relationships. His/her sales and service competences as required in the HH3S policy are on a very good level.
Modes of Assessment and their Weights
Individual assignment 50%
Sales manual -team work 50%
Sales simulation exercises passed/failed
All parts must be passed to complete the course.
The assessment of one's own learning does not influence the course grade. The assignment is the same for all courses/modules and the answers will also be used for course/module development. The assignment is completed on an E-form.