- Code: ICT1TF012
- Scope: 5 cr (135h)
- Timing: 2nd semester
- Language: English
- Course level: Professional studies
- Course type: Elective
Upon successful completion of the course, the student:
- is familiar with the data networks technologies
- is familiar with the main protocols used in data networks
- understands local area network operation and implementations methods
- understands data network equipment operation principles
- can do basic configuration of routers and switches
- understands IP network basics
Topics to be covered in the course include the following:
- data network architectures and protocols
- IPv4 and IPv6
- TCP and UDP
- router and switch functions
- router and switch configurations
Course is based on Cisco Networking Academy course "Introduction to Networks" and it’s related materials and exercises.
Starting Level and linkage with other courses
Orientation to ICT-Infrastructure is recommended to be completed before taking this course.
Accepted course is evaluated with grades 1 to 5.
- Student shows sufficient activity in studying
- Can explain the issues discussed in the course
- Can use the course basic content. Needs often assistance in problem situations, and in the interpretation of the course material
- Student good activity in studying
- Can explain well the issues discussed in the course
- Can use the course content in a versatile way
- Needs sometimes assistance in problem situations, and in the interpretation of the course material
Shows excellent activity in studying
- Can explain excellently the issues discussed in the course
- Can apply the course content in a versatile way
- Can independently examine and solve problems and retrieve information from different sources
Working life connections
Guest lectures are organized if feasible.
All course material, including Cisco Networking Academy course is provided in English.
Course learning outcomes can be achieved in the following ways:
a) Classroom learning, the related tasks and exam OR
b) Multi-modal learning and exam OR
c) On-the-job learning and exam
The course also includes a mandatory assessment of their own learning.