Scope: 5 ECTS
Timing: Semester 4-7
Course level: Specialisation Studies
Course type: free choice
Starting level and linkage with other courses
The three first semesters of the studies completed.
Aspects of the Arabic business life are important in global business environment. Managing Arab cultures, solving diversity related problems and reconciling dilemmas is everyday challenges for managers. How to cope with different national cultures and company cultures is a routine for people working in any company today. The objective for this course is to study the characteristics for Arabic culture and business culture. During the course competences related to business negotiations and multicultural teamwork matters with Arabs are stressed together with focusing on strong networking skills and competences.
- Arabic countries, Islamic countries
- Arabic culture before and after Islam (dimensions)
- Diversity of Arabic countries and cultures
- Basic pillars of Islam from the business perspective
- Arabic business culture vs. western business culture
- Arabic Business Environment
- Communication challenges; non-verbal communication
- Practical work life rules, business centers, middle men, expatriate life
- Negotiations with Arabs
- Marketing and selling to Arabs
- Living as an expatriate in the Arabic countries
Recognising and validating prior learning (RPL)
If you have acquired the required competence in previous work tasks, recreational activities or on another course, you can show the competence with a demonstration and progress faster through your studies. More information and instructions for RPL are available at MyNet.
Cooperation with the business community
Project assignments for a real company/company you would like to work with.
All assignments apply to global trade environment in the Arabic countries.
Contact and distant sessions.
Students' performance is graded on the following scale: Excellent (5), Very good (4), Good (3), Satisfactory (2), Fair (1), Fail (0).
A link to the joint assessment grid. The assessment of one’s own learning.
Materials to be announced in the implementation plan.