You are here



Exchange students coming to Haaga-Helia should obtain all necessary insurances (e.g. health, luggage, home insurance) prior their arrival to Finland. Students who are not Finnish citizens cannot normally obtain insurance from Finland. Please note that Haaga-Helia does not offer insurance to exchange students.  

Non EU/EEA citizens

Non EU/EEA citizens arriving in Finland for the purpose of studying are required to have health insurance if the period of study lasts for more than three months. Health insurance is one of the obligatory requirements for obtaining a residence permit for studies. Health insurance must be obtained prior to applying for a residence permit. The insurance must be valid for the duration of studies, beginning upon entry to Finland. The insurance policy must be issued by a reliable and financially sound company/institution. The type of health insurance policy a student needs depends on his duration of studies in Finland that, in turn, affects the right of domicile in Finland.

A student who enters Finland to study for less than two years is not usually granted the right of domicile, i.e. a home municipality in Finland, and therefore is not entitled to municipal health care services. consequently, the student must have private insurance covering the cost of medical treatment up to € 120,000. For more information, please see

EU/EEA citizens

EU/EEA citizens should obtain the European Health insurance card from their country of residence prior to departure. The card can be obtained from the social security institution in the student’s country of permanent residence. The card will entitle students to transfer their existing social benefits to another EU/EEA member state (e.g. medical or hospital treatment against a small fee).

In addition to the card, students are highly recommended to have private travel insurance, for example covering luggage and travel expenses in case of a cancellation due to illness, and home insurance, if necessary.