Requirements for Open Bachelor level studies
(Note! Requirements for Open Master level studies below)
Students must meet language requirements for enrolling on bachelor’s programmes:
- IELTS score academic level 6,0 or
- TOEFL score 550 paper-based test/ 79-80 internet -based test or
- Pearson test of English (Academic 51) or
- Cambridge ESOL's Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) CEFR level C1 or
- Cambridge ESOL's Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) CEFR level C1 or
- skills level 4 in English in all parts (English communicative oral skills, reading comprehension and writing) in the Finnish National Certificate of Language Proficiency.
All certificates are valid for two years, except The Finnish National Certificate of Language Proficiency, Cambridge ESOL's Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE, Cambridge ESOL's Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) and Cambridge IGSCE Certificate which do not have a set date of validity. TOEFL score results are only accepted directly from the Educational Testing Service. The TOEFL code of Haaga-Helia is 5716. For IELTS, students can either write down the TRF number or attach the IELTS certificate copy into the enrollment form.
Please check from the following pages when you can take the next IELTS or TOEFL language test in Finland:
As Pearson Test of English (Academic) is a paperless test, only scores accessed via the Score Report Website are considered to be valid. Remember to make your test available for Haaga-Helia UAS through the online account. For more information, please visit Pearson PTE website.
In addition, the below certificates are also accepted as a demonstration of sufficient English language skills at Haaga-Helia Open University:
- grade C in the Finnish matriculation examination in advanced level English (IB-examination grade 4 completed in Finland, Reifeprüfung –examination grade 7 completed in Finland or EB-examination grade 6.00-6.95) or
- Finnish AICE Certificate or
- upper secondary level school education in English completed in Great Britain, Ireland, the United States, Canada, Australia or New Zealand or
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree completed in English in Great Britain, Ireland, the United States, Canada, Australia or New Zealand or
- Bachelor's or Master's degree conducted in English in a European Union/European Economic Area -country
- Student certificate and transcript of record, which certify that the student has or has had the study right in an English degree program at a Finnish University of Applied Sciences or University.
Requirements for Open Master level studies
Courses that are components of Master’s degree programmes can only be completed at Open UAS by individuals who meet the requirements for Master’s degree programmes or who otherwise meet the prerequisites for admission as determined by Haaga-Helia.
Requirements for Master's degree programmes:
- a Bachelor´s (or higher) degree in the same field of the Master´s degree you are applying to and at least three years (36 months) of general work experience after completing your Bachelor degree.
- Other appropriate Bachelor´s (or higher) degree and at least three years (36 months) of work experience in the same field of the Master´s degree you are applying to.
- a Bachelor´s (or higher) degree in the same field of the Master´s degree you are applying to and at least three years (36 months) of work experience in the same field of the Master´s degree you are applying to.
- Good oral and written English skills
The degree taken abroad which have been compared/has been confessed in the Finnish National Board of Education to a Finnish degree called old Opistoasteen or Korkea-asteen tutkinto is eligible in the interpretation of admission)
Those applicants who have got a Finnish Certificate called Opistoaste or Korkea-asteen tutkinto and who thereafter have achieved a polytechnic or university degree in the same or corresponding field of study, can also include work experience, i.e. the required work experience, which was carried out before the degree mentioned was passed.
Work experience will only be accepted by providing verified certificates from the employer. Work certificates must have a start and an end date of employment, a brief job description, the employer’s contact information as well as working hours for part-time work. Part-time work will be converted into full-time equivalents such that 150 hours or 20 full working days (at least 7 hours per day) correspond to one month of work. Work experience does not have to be continuous or obtained working for the same employer. Entrepreneurship will be accepted as work experience if an applicant can produce a certificate attesting that he or she is or has been covered under the statutory YEL or MYEL pension scheme for entrepreneurs. No periods of practical work placements or on-the-job learning included in a degree used to apply will be counted towards work experience. Military or non-military national service or child-care leave will not be counted towards work experience.
In addition, a translation of work certificate into Finnish, Swedish or English by an official (authorised) translator will be requested, if the original document is in none of these languages. The translation must be signed and stamped by the translator.
You can count your full-time work experience yourself or use free counters in the net, such as http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.