Degree Programme in International Business, Pasila campus, adult education 2013
- Campus: Helsinki Pasila, Ratapihantie 13, 00520 Helsinki
- Title: tradenomi (Bachelor of Business Administration), 210 credit points (ECTS)
- Student intake: 30
- Application period: from 11 February to 28 March 2013 at 3.00 pm Finnish time (+2 hrs GMT)
- Additional application period: from 28 March to 22 April 2013 at 3.00 pm Finnish time (+2 hrs GMT)
- APPLICATION FORM
- Entrance examination: on Friday 3 May at the Pasila campus at 8.30 – 17.00
- Command of English will be tested in the entrance examination, therefore a separate language test e.g. TOEFL or IELTS is not required
- The programme is recommended for applicants who are 25 years of age or more.
- Applicants will be selected of 2 admission groups: 1) Admission on the basis of the Finnish higher secondary education, total points for entrance examination and work points. 2) Admission on the basis of the foreign higher secondary education, total points for entrance examination and work points.
- Studies begin in August 2013
- Decision letters of student admission will be sent on week 25 the latest
- Application statistics
As an adult education, HAAGA-HELIA’s Degree Programme in International Business is not part of the joint application system. Print out and fill in the application form and include all the following documents:
- Photocopies of final diplomas and transcripts from higher secondary education, as a proof of general eligibility for University of Applied Sciences studies. If the documents are in a language other than English, Finnish or Swedish, you must also submit an authorized translation of the diplomas and transcripts. This means that the authorized translation must include the signature and the stamp of the translator. Photocopies of relevant certificates and authorized translations must arrive to Admissions Office by 28 March 2013 at 15.00. The photocopies must be sent by post, scanned or faxed copies will not be accepted. The photocopies of documents will not be returned to the applicants. All accepted students are asked to present the original documents to the HAAGA-HELIA UAS Officials during the Orientation week in August (the UAS will withdraw the admission, if the student has given inadequate or false information).
- Letters of reference issued by prior and current employers based on the applicant's work record in business and/or technical work. Job certificates must have start and end date of employment and a brief job description. All references must be translated into Finnish, Swedish or English. All accepted students are asked to present the original references to the HAAGA-HELIA UAS Officials during the Orientation week in August.
- Statement of Purpose - a 200-300 word essay covering your reasons and motivation for applying into this degree programme.
In addition to the accurately completed and signed application form and its attachments, the applicant must
- show good written and oral command of English in the entrance examination
- complete each part in the Entrance Examination successfully.
Please note that you cannot apply to polytechnic/UAS degree programmes with a polytechnic/UAS or a university degree. Use your upper secondary school leaving certificate for applying to higher education institutions.
Please see directional guide for Admission requirements by country. Note that accurancy of the guide is not quaranteed!
All the application documents should be submitted to HAAGA-HELIA Admission Office by 28 March 2013 at 3.00 pm. The mailing address is HAAGA-HELIA University of Applied Sciences, Admissions Office, Ratapihantie 13, 00520 Helsinki, Finland.
Applicant is responsible for returning the application and required attachments in time. The UAS takes no responsibility for incomplete applications.
Accummulation of Admission Points
The applicant can collect a points as follows:
|Work experience||10 points|
|Entrance Examination||50 points|
The applicant is awarded 1 point for every 3 months of full-time work experience gained in commercial or technical fields of employment. If the applicant wants to collect points from the work experience, he/she must attach in the application package a work certificate or reference letter from each employer, clearly indicating tasks and the duration of the employment contract. If the applicant has worked part-time, the number of work hours per month should be informed in the work certificate. One month of work experience compares with 150 work hours or 20 working days (the minimum length of one full working day is 7 hours). The work experience can be gained from several employers and in several periods of time. Work experience must have been earned after 18 years of age. Any work experience related to or included in the certificate or studies on the basis of which the application is made, will not be considered. If the applicant has run or is running his own business, it can be considered as work experience by showing a certificate of YEL or MYEL insurance details. Work experience points can be accrued up to 28 March 2013.
You can count your full time work experience yourself or use free counters in the net, such as http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.
Separate written invitations to a one-day long entrance examination will be issued to the eligible applicants who qualify in the first phase based on their 1) prior study records, 2) work experience and 3) Statement of Purpose.
The entrance examination will be held on Friday 3 May at the HAAGA-HELIA Pasila campus at 8.30 – 17.00. It is not possible to take the exam abroad.
The entrance examination consists of four parts:
- Writing test in English on an assigned international business topic. Both the contents and the English language will be assessed.
- Diagnostic mathematics test
- Problem solving assignment in teams
- A team interview with BBA staff
There's no pre-reading material for the entrance examination, all material will be given during the examination.
The applicant must collect more than 1 point in each of the four parts in the Entrance Examination in order to qualify for admission to the Degree Programme BBA (IB) irrespective of school certificates, work experience and/or any written references.
In case of a tie in the admission points, the applicants are ranked on the following basis: 1. interview points, 2. points in the written exam, 3. work experience, 4. lottery.
Other useful information like Applicant's Guide etc., you can read from Information for Applicants -page.
DP in International Business (adult) is not part of Joint Application System. One-Place-Per Student Provision does not concern this programme.
In case the applicant finds that the selection has not been made according to the criteria, he/she should first contact the Admissions Office of HAAGA-HELIA University of Applied Sciences.
Appeal can be made, if the applicant can prove satisfactorily that an error was made by the authority in the polytechnic/university of applied sciences in evaluation of the applicant according to the rules and regulations of the admission process.
Appeal based on personal circumstances (difficult life situation, misunderstanding, health reasons, incapability to participate in the entrance examination) or e.g. possible errors made by post offices and so on will not be considered as valid reasons for appeal. Student admission decision can be changed only in those cases where it is clearly shown that the polytechnic/UAS has not followed the student admission criteria. Therefore, the appeal must be well-grounded and it should contain accurate information on where the polytechnic/UAS has not followed the criteria.
Applicants not satisfied with the decision may appeal in writing to the address below within 14 days of receiving the notification of the decision. The period allowed for the delivery of the notification letter is 7 days from the posting of the letter. The notification date of the decision is not included in the 14-day appeal period. The polytechnic/UAS is not responsible of possible delays in postal delivery and therefore, the above mentioned time frame applies even if the post is not received within the mentioned time frame. The appeal should be sent to the Admissions Office. During the previous application processes the following are examples of reasons for appeal which have not changed the decision made on selection: the certificate of language skills is missing, late arrival of any certificates, or deadlines have not been followed.
The appeal must be made in writing and it must contain:
- applicant’s name, occupation, municipality of residence, postal address and daytime phone number
- the original or a certified copy of the eligibility decision and the date the decision was received
- what is appealed against and the changes required
- grounded reasons for the appeal
- signature of the appellant or the writer (if only the writer has signed the appeal, it has to include writer’s occupation, municipality of residence and postal address)
For further information please contact:
HAAGA-HELIA University of Applied Sciences
Tel. +358 (0)400 230409, 9am - 3pm Finnish time (+2 hrs GMT)